I donít want to carry out any research myself; will the Society do it for me?
The Society is sometimes able carry out research into any RAYMENT family on behalf of its members without charge, unless the purchase of birth, marriage or death certificates etc. is found to be necessary.
Will the Society carry out research into non-Rayment related families for members?
Not in general.   However, the Society may, at the discretion of the Honorary Secretary, offer a certificate and/or a Will and Administration search and order service, for which a small fee may be charged in addition to the cost of purchase of the certificate, Will or Administration document concerned.
I am trying to research my family tree in a country where English is not spoken.   Can the Society offer me any advice?
We can probably do better than that because we have a small panel of volunteer linguists able to translate membersí correspondence in the following languages: Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Serbo-Croat, Spanish, Swedish, Urdu and Japanese.
Iíve recently inherited a collection of very old RAYMENT family photographs, and would like to know if the Society can assist me in finding out the dates upon which they were taken?
It is very unlikely to be possible to determine the exact dates, but a close approximation could undoubtedly be made using the information given in Robert Polís book entitled "Dating old photographs" which is published by the Federation of Family History Societies.
We would also urge you to read the book "Caring for your family photographs at home", written by Audrey Linkman who is the curator of the Documentary photography archive at Cavendish Building, Cavendish Street, Manchester M15 6BG. Furthermore, the Society would greatly appreciate copies of your old photographs for our archives, there even being a small possibility that we might be able to help in dating them by comparing them with our existing collection of Rayment family photographs.
Has the Society carried out any research in the USA?
Yes, but it has to be said that research in the United States is notoriously difficult due to both a national obsession with secrecy and a complete lack of a proper national registration system for births, marriages and deaths.   Consequently the results obtained have been somewhat patchy.
Being new to family history research, Iíd just like to ask what the most important single piece of advice you could give me would be?
Probably the best such advice is to avoid doing yourself what someone else has already done.   The most effective way of doing this is not to research any ancestors before having first contacted as many as possible of your living relatives for information, and if any RAYMENTS are involved, you canít do better than join the RAYMENT SOCIETY of course.
Iíve recently discovered that many of my Rayment ancestors came from Londonís East End and have been told that the East of London Family History Society covers this area, but Iíve been unable to find their telephone number.   Can you help me?
This question is regularly asked by exasperated researchers, each of whom we have to tell that the E.O.L.F.H.S., in common with a small number of other Family History Societies, simply does not publish a contact telephone number.   Iím afraid the best we can do is to refer you to their General Secretary, Janet Seward at 12 Glencoe Avenue, Ilford, IG2 7AJ.   Please note that Mr Jack Jackson of 37 Medora Road, Romford, RM7 7EP is no longer their Correspondence Secretary.
Can the Society help me in finding a friend or relative with whom I have lost touch?
Provided that the person being sought was either born with, or has been adopted by, someone with the surname RAYMENT, or has ever married anyone with the name, then the Society can almost certainly help a member to find him or her.   As a matter of fact, the Society has been particularly successful in this field, having so far managed to reunite almost every member with the person for whom they were seeking.
Are there are any Societies similar to yours, who might be dealing with other surnames in my family tree?
Yes.   You will need to consult either "The Register of One Name Studies" which is published by the Guild of One Name Studies, or "The Genealogical Research Directory" published by Johnson and Sainty.   The first can be obtained from the Society of Genealogists, at 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, London, EC1M 7BA, and the latter (although no longer published) can be freely consulted at most large reference libraries, world-wide.   In addition, members of our Society are able to benefit from a free "look up" service to both publications.
What will happen to the Society when all of its research into the Rayment families is completed?
The nature of this type of research is such that it can never be completely up-to-date because Governments in many countries, including the UK, operate rules of non-disclosure for varying time periods.   A good example of this is the UK census, records of which are kept secret for a minimum period of 100 years.   As a consequence of this, family historians will be unable to begin researching the information recorded in the last census (which was taken in the year 2011) until the 1st January 2112.   Since similar rules apply to many other types of record held at Public Record Offices, it is extremely unlikely that anyone at this meeting will ever see the completion of such research.
[This page last updated on 25th January 2016]
Back to the Questions Menu